Spreading the Word
I’m passionate about engaging people with my research, and also with science in general.
I’m a STEMNET ambassador and give give regular talks to schools, amateur societies in London and the South-East. Please feel to get in touch for speaking or media opportunities.
I have also been an invited keynote speaker at events such as the British Science Festival and The Times Cheltenham Science Festival. I also give regular educational tours and presentations of the RPIF at UCL.
I even tried my hand at a bit of science stand-up – next time I’ll need a bigger rocket.
Below is a list of some of my recent public engagement activities.
Space Showoff 2013 (Image Credit: Jay Stone)
- BBC, Sky at Night – Expert Guest
- BBC, News – Interviewee
- BBC, Wonders of the Solar System – Advisor
- BBC, Wonders of the Universe – Advisor
- National Geographic, A Traveler’s Guide to the Planets – Interviewee
- MarsLive Phoenix Landing – Guest
Radio / Podcasts
- Radio Cardiff, Pythagoras Trousers (web)
- UCL News, Podcast – Interviewee
- Cheltenham Science Festival
- British Science Festival (x2)
- Royal Observatory Greenwich
- Natural History Museum
- Festival of Geology
- British Space Conference
- Newbury Astronomical Society
- Astronomy Ireland
- Pint of Science
- Islington Space Festival
- Geological Society of the Isle of Wight
- Crayford Manor House Astronomical Society
- West Sussex Geological Society
- Hampstead Scientific Society
- Harrow & Hillingdon Geological Society
- Association of British Science Writers
- “New Rover Will Reach Mars In 2018 And Drill Two Meters Below The Surface In Search Of Life”. IFL Science, 2 November, 2015 (web)
- “ExoMars rover: Landing preference is for Oxia Planum”. BBC, 21 October, 2015 (web)
- “10 Miles of Mars”. Pi Magazine, December 2013 (web)
- “Supervolcanoes ripped up early Mars”. BBC, 2 October 2013. (web)
- “Curiosity Rover finds water in Martian soil indicating a planetary ‘abundance'”. Wired.co.uk, 27 September 2013. (web)
- “Nasa’s Curiosity rover finds water in Martian soil”. The Guardian, 27 September 2013. (web)
- “From Star Wars to Mars via a load of old rocks”, Phys. Educ. 47, 771, 2012. (web)
- “Curiosity rover: after ‘beautiful’ test drive, Nasa sets sights on Glenelg”. The Guardian, 23 August 2012. (web)
- “The Moon is shrinking, say scientists”. The Guardian, 19 August 2010. (web)
- “Seeing through Lyell’s eyes”. Geoscientist, 19 (11), 6, November 2009. (pdf)
- “Career File: Planetary Geologist”. Space UK , 27, 21, March 2009. (pdf)
- “Mystery stone circles may point to water on Mars”. New Scientist, 2689 , 02/01/09. (web)
- “Did a collision create Venus as we know it?”. New Scientist, 2644 , 26/02/08. (web)
- “Will they ever walk on the moon?”. The Daily Telegraph, 05/09/06, p 31. (web)
- “Searching for life on Mars: ESA narrows choice of ExoMars landing sites”. The Guardian, 15 December 2014 (web)
- “Diverted landslides in Valles Marineris”. Planetary Geomorphology Image of the Month. November 2014 (web)
- “Searching for life on Mars: where should the ExoMars rover land?”. The Guardian, 26 March 2014 (web)
- “The Incredible Shrinking Moon”. MoonZoo blog, 6 September 2010. (web)
Research as Art
- “10 Miles of Mars”. North Cloisters, UCL, 2013. (web)
- “Another Way of Seeing : Contemporary Art responds to Planetary Science”. UCL, 2013. (web)
- “Impact! – A Pop-up Exhibition”. The Rock Room, UCL, 2013. (web)
- “Digital Fontiers”. Octagon Gallery, UCL. 2013. (web)
- “Distant Vistas”. South Cloisters, UCL, 2011.
- “Out of Sight”. North Cloisters, UCL, 2008. (web)
- “Beyond Measure: Conversations across are and science”. Kettle’s Yard, Cambridge, 2008. (web)
- Ordnance Survey Mars Map, 2016 (blog, Flickr) – press coverage: The Times, BBC, Wired, Vice, Metro, Telegraph, Daily Mail, Gizmodo, Gizmag, The Mirror, CS Monitor, The Guardian, Engadget, Discovery News.
- Where on Mars, Advisor, 2015 (web)
- Science Showoff, Invited guest, Bloomsbury Theatre, London, 2013. (web)
- Royal Society Summer Exhibition, “Ice Worlds” Co-organiser, London, 2013. (web)
- BBC Stargazing Live, Expert Panel member, Royal Observatory London, Greenwich, 2013.
- Guerilla Scientist at Secret Cinema, London, July 2012.